WhatsApp Business is geared at small to medium Businesses
WhatsApp is a very popular online messaging application in Cyprus. Until the beginning of this year it was mainly used by individuals to communicate with
friends and family members.
Starting 2018, Facebook, who owns WhatsApp, published a separate application, WhatsApp Business available on Android and since May as well on the Apple app store.
WhatsApp Business, which is free to download, was devloped with small business owners in mind.
The application integrates features like:
- Labels: Allowing you to organize your contacts or chats with your own labels, so you can easily find them again.
- Quick Replies: that let you save and reuse messages you frequently send so you can easily answer common questions in no time.
- Insights: Messaging statistics that provide important metrics such as how many of your messages were successfully sent, delivered, and
WhatsApp on land lines Yes, it is possible now to use a fixed land telephone line for WhatsApp. If you have a personal phone number that is different from your business phone
number, you can have both WhatsApp Business and WhatsApp Messenger on the same phone, and register them with two different numbers and the good news is
that FIXED LINES ARE RECOGNIZED: You can use WhatsApp Business with a land line and your customers will be able to send you messages
on this number.
In addition to the features available in WhatsApp Messenger, WhatsApp Business includes :
- A PROFESSIONAL PROFILE: Create a professional profile for your company to help your customers find useful information, such as your website, address or company information.
- PROFESSIONAL COMMUNICATION TOOLS: Be more responsive to your clients by using "Absence or Holiday messages" to indicate that you are not available or "Greeting Messages" that send an introductory message to your contacts when they first sned you a message.
- FIXED LINES ARE TAKEN IN CHARGE: You can use WhatsApp Business with a fixed line and your customers will be able to write to you on
- USE WHATSAPP MESSENGER AND WHATSAPP BUSINESS: You can use WhatsApp Business and WhatsApp Messenger on the same mobile
phone, but each application must have its own phone number. You can now clearly separate your business communication from your private messages.
- WHATSAPP WEB: You can answer your customers more efficiently, directly from your computer browser. Just type in a browser the url: web.whatsapp.com,
open WhatsApp on the application and scan the QR code that is displayed on your computer screen. This is also a way to use WhatsApp on your Android
WhatsApp Business is developed on WhatsApp Messenger and includes all the same features you usually use, such as sending media files, free WhatsApp calls, free international messaging, group chats, offline messages, etc.
Video Group MessagesWhatsApp already provided the ability to create conversation (text only) groups and make calls. Since Monday, July 30, 2018 it allows to combine the two,
and to make group video calls.
It is now possible, during a call between two users, to invite one or two other people to join the conversation. And if it is a video call, the screen is divided into three or four, to allow the videos of all participants to be displayed on the screen.
Announced in May and deployed this week, this new feature is, according to WhatsApp, "end-to-end encrypted", like the other messages passing through the application. The company ensures that it should operate anywhere in the world, including with very weak connection speeds.
Paid messages and advertising
On Wednesday 1 August 2018, the Facebook officially launched the monetization process of the WhatsApp messaging application. New paid options for companies wishing to communicate with users of the platform through the WhatsApp API have been announced together with upcoming paid ads in 2019.
WhatsApp has now opened up to businesses. Since 2017, the application, which claims more than 1.5 billion users worldwide, allows businesses to communicate directly with users. WhatsApp says that more than three million companies already use this feature. To reach new customers, businesses will now be able to buy ads on Facebook's news feed, which will then open a discussion directly on WhatsApp.
Conversations will remain free as long as companies respond within 24 hours. After this period, they will have to pay between 0.43 and 7.7 euro cents to send a message, depending on the country. New paying options will also be charged at the same rate. In particular, businesses will be able to automatically send "non-promotional" notifications, such as a boarding pass, confirmation of a delivery or a reminder of an appointment.
WhatsApp will start displaying ads
From 2019, WhatsApp will start displaying paid ads. The ads will initially be limited to status ads, the equivalent of "stories", a format made popular by Snapchat that allows sharing photos and short videos for a limited time. Over 450 million WhatsApp users use this feature each month. For now, WhatsApp does not plan to display ads in the inbox, as Facebook Messenger does.
WhatsApp Business should be used to help strengthen bonds between your existing customer base and your company but not as a tool for cold calling.
Our experience showed that WhatsApp Business is primarily suited for businesses with a very familiar or regular customer base. If you are dealing with a fast moving customer base (like tourists for example), the app may not be the best choice. The main objective is to deepen bonds with your customers and develop brand loyalty, which is extremely difficult to do over a short period of time. However, businesses can still utilize WhatsApp Business to communicate with random customers and give them more information about their business and products.
Do think of integrating WhatsApp Business in your overall digital Marketing strategy? Our marketing Consultants are just a phone call away!